Hugh Spencer Kentish (2 April 1892 – 26 February 1985), known as Spencer, was born in Laura, South Australia, the son of Frank Butler Kentish and Evangeline Julia Kentish (nee Tuck).
His father, Frank Butler Kentish, went to Laura in the mid-north of SA in around 1885 to farm with his cousin Albert Stow Kentish, while another cousin, Edward, went further north near Orroroo. Around this time three sisters, Evangeline, Annie and Edith Tuck, went to Laura to set up a private school, as their aunts Sophy, Harriet and Elizabeth Tuck had done in 1855 in Kenton Valley.
Frank and Evangeline were married in 1890. Their first son, Frank Keith died soon after he was born (29 April 1891 – 2 May 1891). Hugh Spencer was born a year later, followed by four sisters, Marjorie Hope in 1893, Ruth Evangeline in 1894, Dorothy Grace in 1896 and Salome Blanche in 1902.
In 1906 Spencer went to Adelaide to attend school at Kyre College, later Scotch College, at that time located in Unley Park. A few years later the whole family relocated to Adelaide so that the girls would also have good educational opportunities. They lived on Port Road, Beverley where Frank worked as a carter, transporting goods to and from Port Adelaide.
Spencer completed his secondary education in 1908 and subsequently took up a position in the Commercial Bank of Australia. He worked for a time in Two Wells from where he cycled to Beverley for weekends at home. He played tennis and other sports in Two Wells and established friendships with many people in the area, some of whom enlisted and served overseas with him later on.
In late 1914 he was transferred to the Commercial Bank in Boulder, Western Australia. After the commencement of the war he went to Perth to enlist but was rejected at the medical examination on the grounds of having a ‘weak heart’. The story goes that he was late for the appointment and ran, thus arriving with an elevated heart rate. There was no evidence of heart trouble at any time during his long life. He returned to South Australia in 1916, passed his medical, was recruited to join the Australian Infantry Force (AIF) and undertook training as a light horseman at the Mitcham Training Camp.
He served in Egypt and Palestine in the 3rd Regiment of the 1st Light Horse Brigade from February 1917 until the end of the war in November 1918 and arrived back in Australia in June 1919.
After the war Spencer recommenced his employment with the Commercial Bank. He was obliged to sign up for 3 years in Darwin, travelling there and back by ship. While there he met Jessie Millicent Tomlins (1890 – 1982) who had served in the war as a Staff Nurse, and later as a Sister, in the 14th Australian General Hospital in Abbassia, Cairo, Egypt.
Following their marriage in 1925 they returned to live in South Australia. Spencer continued to work for the bank until his retirement in the 1950s. He was the bank manager at CBA branches in Balaklava, Murray Bridge, Mount Gambier and Adelaide. Spencer & Jessie had 4 children, Dorothy, David, Stow & Margaret, and subsequently 16 grandchildren. After retirement Spencer & Jessie bought and developed a farm of around 1000 acres (400 hectares) north of Kalangadoo, South Australia. They lived their final years in Adelaide.
The Kentish sisters
Marjorie was a primary school teacher. She went to East Bengal (now Bangladesh) in 1918 to work at the Orakandi Widows’ Home, a Baptist Mission. She returned to South Australia and was Infant Mistress (Junior Primary principal) at schools including Cowandilla (1939-1945), Port Pirie, Mount Gambier and Allenby Gardens. She died in 1983.
Ruth was a kindergarten teacher. She also worked as a governess on outback stations. She died in 1960.
Dorothy completed a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Adelaide and later was employed as a secretary of the YWCA. She tragically died on the evening of 8 June 1925, aged 28, after being struck by a car on North Terrace, Adelaide – see trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/54919137
Sally was at high school during WW1. After completing her secondary education she studied music, achieved her L Mus A as a pianist and became a music teacher. She and her husband, Ian Drummond, a singing teacher, lived for many years on Lower Eyre Peninsula (Yeelanna & Cummins) and had a lasting impact on music education in that area. She died in 1991.